Notable improvements include, but are not limited to
- The arm64 platform now has OpenBSD booting multi-user on Apple M1
- Numerous improvements to the relatively fresh powerpc64 platform
- A generous sprinkling of multicore untangling in the network stack
- A fresh virtual Ethernet Bridge device veb(4), more details in Introducing veb(4) - a new Virtual Ethernet Bridge
- New daemons dhcpleased(8) (see also) and resolvd(8) (see also) introduced to make road warriors' lives easier. (These daemons are not enabled by default.)
- rpki-client(8) has seen major work, including initial support for RRDP (The RPKI Repository Delta Protocol, RFC 8182).
- For enhanced privacy control for video recording, the
kern.video.recordwas added. (See earlier report). This is analogous to
- Major updates to packages
Those upgrading from 6.8 or earlier releases should consult the Upgrade Guide.
Thanks to the developers for all the good work that went into this excellent new release!
While your install sets download or when your packages update, please take the time to look at and use one or more of the recommended ways to support the project, such as making a donation. You can also get merchandise and help OpenBSD visibility. Corporate entities may prefer sending some money in the direction of the OpenBSD Foundation, which is a Canadian non-profit corporation.