Contributed by Peter N. M. Hansteen on from the Puffy's 44th release dept.
Notable changes in this release are as always numerous, and include:
- Improved hardware support on modern platforms including ARM64/ARMv7 and octeon, while amd64 users will appreciate additional support for the Intel Kaby Lake video cards.
- Network stack improvements include extensive SMPization improvements and a new FQ-CoDel queueing discipline, as well as enhanced WiFi support in general and improvements to iwn(4), iwm(4) and anthn(4) drivers.
- Improvements in vmm(4)/vmd include VM migration, as well as various compatibility and performance improvements.
- Security enhancements including a new freezero(3) function, further pledge(2)ing of base system programs and conversion of several daemons to the fork+exec model.
- Trapsleds, KARL, and random linking for libcrypto and ld.so, dramatically increase security by making it harder to find helpful ROP gadgets, and by creating a unique order of objects per-boot.
- The base system compiler on the amd64 and i386 platforms has switched to clang(1).
- New versions of OpenSSH, OpenSMTPd, LibreSSL and mandoc are also included.
(Comments are closed)