Contributed by tbert on from the firefox-fur-coat dept.
As is now an habit, i had made zero plans for this hackathon, i had some unfinished stuff lying around, and no real big task ahead. Firefox 31 betas were already working for me, and only needed actual testing.
In the end, i spent quite a bunch of time doing some sysadmin stuff with ansible, with which i've really felt in love. Thanks to rpe@, we have a really up-to-date port, and it was the perfect occasion for me to reconfigure some of my infrastructure servers, starting by our test bulk cluster OPI - which can be now fully upgraded/reconfigured in a single ansible playbook task, taking care of all the steps to be able to run a bulk build. This will soon be featured in an article in a french newspaper issue about BSD systems. I'll really stress that ansible can be the perfect tool to remotely administer OpenBSD systems, only needing ssh and python on the remote machine, and the learning curve of the tool is really smooth.
I also spent some time digging in various pkg_tools/pkg_locatedb/pkg_check/sqlports/pkg_sign usecases, more material for another article in the same newspaper - along this, i had lots of questions for espie@, who still thinks his code is easy to understand to outsiders.. unfortunately, not everyone is as smart as him.
A hackathon wouldnt be one without some activity in mozilla's bugzilla, so i resumed pushing some patches that were still local and pending to reduce our count of local modifications - unfortunately, some last minute changes to our headers (read: endian.h) brought more patches to all our mozilla ports, and ruined my efforts :)
I tried porting the new mozilla sync server, since the one we have in-tree will stop working with gecko 31. Unfortunately, after 15 new ports of some python libs, and realizing i'd also need to port around a bazillions of node js modules, i totally gave up on this. I doubt this'll improve in the future, the new sync server is not really designed to be properly packaged, rather ran directly from a one-shot checkout of its sources.
I also did some minor wip update to the www/nginx port, adding the ldap auth patch, polished ports for a pair of GIS caching servers i plan to use at work (mapcache, and mapproxy) but that work is still awaiting feedback and review.
As Vadim said, i spent quite a bunch of time proofreading lots of new ports needed for kde4 updates, fixing nits around and commenting on style issues - but since he's now an experienced porter, i didnt have much to add... and finally, i reviewed the work of our GSOC student about systemd-like daemons, to allow us to have equivalent features provided via D-BUS (those are more and more needed by gnome), and the architecture is shaping up quite nicely - we had quite some interesting exchange with him and ajacoutot@. I think that's material for a standalone undeadly issue, i'll let ian talk about it :)
Thanks again to mitja and his crew, again a perfect event in a really nice city!
(Comments are closed)