Contributed by merdely on from the hello-computer dept.
How do you remote control the locally logged in X11 session (:0)? The standard VNC server sets up it's own display and gives you your own session on the remote box. x11vnc (in packages) allows you to remotely control the X display connected to the keyboard, monitor and mouse. Follow these steps:
- On the local box, install a vnc viewer:
sudo pkg_add tightvnc-viewer
- Connect to the remote server using ssh:
ssh -L 5900:localhost:5900 remotebox
- On the remote box, install x11vnc:
sudo pkg_add x11vnc
- On the remote box, run x11vnc:
x11vnc -display :0 -localhost
- On the local box, run vncviewer:
vncviewer -depth 8 -encodings hextile localhost:0
What stupid tricks do you know?
(Comments are closed)