Contributed by Dengue on from the 64bit dept.
From an email titled: Sparc64 booting options
- OK, I made some new sparc64 boot media, and we have confirmed that you can use floppy30.fs to boot at least an ultra1. It should also work on an ultra2 -- this media is designed for the sbus versions of the machines.
- There is also a bsd.rd that will work fine on all machines, if you can get it onto the filesystem, or net boot it.
- Finally, there is a floppyB30 that is designed for the pci machines. We are hearing that most of the pci machines cannot properly boot from floppies though, and in fact, have not yet heard of anyone having had success.
- there appears to be a bug in outgoing RPC XDR which generates incorrect packets, very likely because of the big endian 64 bit nature of ultrasparc. To debug this, start with rpc.rstatd and try to debug it there. This also causes amd to not work at all.
- the console emulator pcons sometimes crashes. This automatically determines what console is going to be used, which well. it is a prom console.
- no video support yet. hence no X.
(Comments are closed)