Contributed by tbert on Mon Jul 23 10:41:57 2012 (GMT)
from the dont-go-in-the-subway dept.
The Editors are finally readjusting to life outside The Pearl of the Danube and are ready to shower you with stories of lands afar!
Bob Beck(beck@) provides us with a...colorful...description of his work in the buffer cache:
I've been crafting a fix to the problem of the buffer cache allowing
unlimited writes to be buffered up inside it. in the process I've found and fixed an issue of
io starvation with the algorithm in disksort(). With the two of these together, systems
perform much better under heavy io load without locking up. I watched theo basically
impale his laptop on hundreds of core dumping processes which were also larger than memory
size so he was also swapping while dumping hundreds of core files. Incredibly, after
several hours the machine managed to slowly Kegel it's way back up the
impaling pole and survive.
I've also been working on looking at some early diffs for incorporting some
functionality (write ahead physical block logging) chasing performance
issues with softdep, none of which will get finished here. I'm not done
yet, I may chase my way into some userland stuff and spamd/authpf
Jasper Lievisse Adriaanse(jasper@) was a busy bee, cycling through multiple projects:
For this hackathon I had one item on my list that I really needed to finish,
which was importing lua 5.2 into the ports tree and adjusting the tree to
deal with multiple versions of lua (5.2 is incompatible with 5.1).
But the thing with hackathons is that you'll never just do what you intend to
do, this was true for g2k12 as well. Thanks to mpi@ we made huge progress in a
different area, OpenGL/Clutter. We had been observing a bug in Mesa for years now
which prevented us from updating Clutter, and importing the last
misisng piece of GNOME3, the Shell. So within the first two days of
the hackathon, Antoine committed the Clutter update we had been
working on with Robert for a few years, and I finally imported GNOME
shell. As well as committing some outstanding updates for other ports which
were now unblocked.
After this chunk of work was taken care of I finally finished the Lua
work in ports and started poking the DRM bits needed for my Ivybridge
laptop in order to use the Intel X.org driver instead of
VESA. Currently not too much progress, hopefuly in the future I'll have
more to report on this.
espie@ has been doing some major cleanups of our own libtool(1)
implementation, uncovering some interesting design/behaviour "quirks". Over
the course of the week I helped a bit with cleaning stuff up a bit and
reporting regressions as I was doing continious bulk builds during the course
of the hackathon. Which allowed us to observe and fix bugs fairly quickly.
Finally, a while ago I revived tedu@'s diff to add tinyscheme support our
mg(1) editor. After talking to nicm@ we figured that using Lua instead
of Scheme would be an easier choice in order to extended mg, and to
replace some existing C code with Lua. Having Lua in base would also allow for
extending tmux(1) with Lua and various other neat applications of the language.
So in order to prepare for such a move if it were to hapen eventually I spend
some time on preparing Lua 5.2 for import into the base system. Please note that
it's far from ready and may not even happen at all.
Finally, Brandon Mercer(bmercer@) tells us about working on a new architecture:
I worked on the panda porting efforts some more. Arm'd[groan -ed] with a diff
from miod@ it only took a few tweaks to get the kernel booting into
userland. By borrowing the zaurus binaries and copying the src tree
onto the SD card I was able to do a native build of the kernel.
Currently it's just in SP mode and takes about 24 minutes to build a
kernel. The really good news about all this is that I was able to turn
on the cache and have things still function properly. Slowly I'm
sorting out how to support the beagle and panda and figuring out what
can be shared and what can't. There is still plenty of work to be